Monday, June 18, 2012

Search and Social: How The Two Will Soon Become One

Let’s put on our future-goggles and imagine how a fully social, personal-data-powered search would change our day-to-day...

Proactive: It’s Tuesday night and I’m hungry. Luckily, my mobile knows that I just got a CSA box containing sweet potatoes (Full Circle Farm’s Facebook integration), and that I tend to eat at home on Tuesdays (according to my historical pattern of check-ins). It also knows that it’s cold and raining outside. Before I’ve gotten around to opening a cookbook or the Epicurious app, my mobile pushes me a sweet potato soup recipe that my certified-foodie friend raved about on Facebook last week.

Personal
: Arrive at the Sao Paulo airport and search on my mobile for the city’s public transit map. My device knows that I’ve never been there (even though I bought a phrase book on Amazon last week), and it also knows (from scanning TripAdvisor comments about Sao Paulo buses) that the public transit is impossible to navigate for newcomers. While the map is loading, a message appears gently encouraging me to consider a rental car instead – there happens to be a great deal on an Audi (my favorite(!) as noted on Facebook) at the rental counter 10 feet away. Talk about targeting!

Social: Florence and the Machine is touring in New York, and I’m dying to go see them. I called the usual suspects, and they’re out of town during the concert. The only thing worse than not going is going alone. But who else do I know who loves them like I do? That’s a lay-up for a socially powered search if ever there was one. Two words: “Jason Hirschhorn”. Is that so hard?

Read more at Flud News

1 comment:

  1. It has worked out well, except when the President has failed idiotically to cooperate or an insubordinate teleprompter has gone off on a misguided binge of its own. It has been my privilege as well as my misfortune since . To actually make it happen, teleprompter is urgently needed. The teleprompter rental company usually offers a range of teleprompter types in the friendly budget; it is possible to find a very good one among your choices.

    ReplyDelete